On-location headshots are very popular right now – and with good reason! They can look very natural and offer multiple different background options in one session. If your photographer has suggested an on-location shoot, here are five things you can do to prepare to make your photo shoot go as smoothly as possible:
- Plan, plan, plan. This goes without saying, as you should always plan your outfits for a photo shoot, but in the case of on-location shoots it is even more important. It can be inconvenient to dig through a suitcase full of clothing without anywhere to hang them or spread them out, so know in advance what outfits, accessories, and makeup you will want to use and group them together in an easy-to-access way.
- Wear comfortable shoes. People often don’t think about it, but your shoes will rarely be seen in your headshots! It’s important to be able to walk around comfortably so you have as many location options as possible, so make sure to wear comfortable shoes, or at least bring a pair of slip-on shoes that you can change into between locations.
- Wear an undershirt. With location shoots there is not always a convenient bathroom to change in between every look, so you will save yourself a lot of time and energy if you wear an undershirt or sports bra that you can keep on and change your top without needing too much privacy.
- Bring a mirror! Your photographer may bring one, but they may not, and you’ll probably want to be able to check your hair and makeup between photos, especially if you plan to change anything at all during the shoot.
- Bring everything in an easy to carry bag or roller-bag. Don’t just bring your outfits loose on hangers – you will need to set them down while you are being photographed, and there may not always be somewhere convenient. It’s much nicer to bring everything in a garment bag or neatly packed in a rolling suitcase so you will be ready to go between photos.
I hope this helps you feel a little more prepared for your on-location headshot session – and remember, as with every photo shoot, the most important thing is to relax and enjoy yourself!