As actors, a big part of your career is out of your control. You gain and lose roles for a myriad of reasons.
- * You can be: too tall, too short, too heavy, too thin, too young, too old.
- * You can remind a producer of their ex.
- * You can share a name with someone that they know.
- * It’s frustrating. It’s ridiculous.
- * The reality is, the decision making process is out of your hands.
If it’s out of your control, then what do you do?
- * You prepare.
- * You build your skills so that when the opportunity comes, you can pounce on it.
- * Once you learn a skill, it’s yours forever. Nobody can take it away from you. Skills are what separate you from the next actor. Skills cannot be argued. You either have a skill or you don’t.
You know the best thing about skills?
- * Once you learn them, they only get BETTER. For the rest of your life.
- * That’s a pretty incredible thing.
- * Dialects are a SKILL. Learning a dialect requires time and energy.
Training, a great attitude, and specialized skills beat talent every time!
Donald The Dialect Coach